Credit: Jason Hawkes Photography

Monday 7 June 2010

Summer Hiatus


Well, it all went a bit silent and dark out there on my cultural radio for a bit.

I can only apologise for the delay in my most recent updates but I have begun a small hiatus from working life and took initial advantage of such time to maneouvre by surrounding myself with beauty in scenary and company up in the Lake District.

Rejuventated and returned, I feel like I have a veritable cultural artillery to unleash, before I head once again to a dusty plain in Spain, and, to begin at the beginning, I will start with a free festival coming up this very weekend.

Celebrating Sanctuary is an event that is at the heart of Refugee Week. Despite rabid tabloid headlines regarding immigration this and asylum seekers that, the reality is that the majority of refugees bring massive contributions to our society, especially in this epicentre of multiculturalism we call London. Refugee Week is about considering this and celebrating this.

Celebrating Sanctuary brings a whole host of amazing musicians, performers and poets together on one bill. Many of these will be acts you've yet to be conscious of but will soon be blown away by.

Headlining are Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars whose story is one of triumph through adversity and whose music is a manifestation of the positivity that courses through these incredible musician's veins.

Alongside them are musicians from as far afield as Somalia, Tibet, Afghanistanand Bosnia and, from much closer to home, the incredibly talented wordsmith, a cappella lyricist and all round phenomenon that is Kate Tempest.

If you haven't seen the girl in action yet, be prepared to be astonished.

All of this and more will be happening right by the Oxo Tower in Bernie Spain Gardens and is, thankfully for my broke ass, FREE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment