Credit: Jason Hawkes Photography

Thursday 4 February 2010

Secret City

Although most representations of London are of the sprawling metropolis, the hectic non-stop pace, the constant buzz, the real beauty to our capital lies in the mysteries of history and the hidden treasures that lie beneath.

I've lived in this city for 30 years and every day I discover something new, something that feels like only I have discovered and I now have two other paragons to add to this ever-growing list.

The first is a guided walk through the Hidden Gardens of the City. Taking you on a route that is oft-restricted and hidden to the public face, this promises to be a little element of our city that only a few are lucky to peer at...

Every Wed 1:30pm until 31st March
£5 donation to Cancer Research and Oxfam

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This second one, I have to admit was news to me too and has since piqued my curiousity to such an extent that I will be using some of my precious holiday time to explore. If any of you should also be so piqued, let me know when, and we can embark.

Under neath London Wall, still stands the remains of the Roman's military fort. Rarely accessible, this will be open to the public as part of a curator-guided tour on 3 dates through February, March and April. Nearly 1900 years old.

That's bloody old, that is.

FREE

Thursday February 11th 14:00 - 14:30 and 15:00 - 15:30

Monday March 8th 14:00 - 14:30 and 15:00 - 15:30

Thursday April 22nd 14:00 - 14:30 and 15:00 - 15:30

0 comments:

Post a Comment